Monday, January 25, 2010

Last Week of Challenge

Here goes the last week of 'The Challenge'. It was much harder than I first thought it would be. From not stocking up the way I have been to the time to cook from scratch. Without shopping I had a bit more time. It has been a good challenge because of what I have learned:

1- I have had to be better about planing out the weeks menu in advance. That saves time in my week to plan one day and run with it. Who really wants to think everyday 'What will I fix for dinner tonight?'!

2- I have been cooking a lot more from scratch. The bread recipe was an amazing find. I have thought for long time now that I need more skills in the kitchen.

3- I have had a pretty good start on my food storage for when we need it. More importantly, I know my weak areas and I can work on them.

4- I have a better idea of what I want in my garden this upcoming summer. I like having enchilada and spaghetti sauce handy!

5- It's amazing what you can get for $30 when you put a bit of planning into it.

6- I can move past the urge of eating out. The week that Papa Murphy's was having their $10 special I did not call my hubby and tell him to pick one up on his way home, even though I wanted to. I was very happy a few days back when we really wanted dinner from The Golden Jade and I had not used up my 'one dinner out for the month card'. We did bring it home, which saves money by not getting their drinks.

Here is this weeks menu:

Chicken Noodle Soup- left overs, so good the second day!

Beef in Gravy over Rice w/veggies on the side

Beef & Bean Burritos, they are pre-made in the freezer

Chicken Croissants w/Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
The croissants recipe is HERE

Homemade Hamburger Helper

Barbecue Beef Sandwiches, I will make hamburger buns again.

Ham & Bean Soup

Another week is planned.
I will be making more of the Lazy Granola, it is a hit at my house.
I haven't checked out the Pinching Your Pennies site yet, but I am going to put off shopping as long as I can this week. I did have to stop into Ridley's on Saturday for sour cream and my daughter suggested we walk past the 'reduced isle' as she puts it and they had gallons of Viva 1% milk for only $1 each, we bought two.

Click HERE to read all of this months 'Eating From the Pantry Challenge' postings.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!

    It's amazing how many different kinds of bread can be made at home when we want to. And when you're home, you can make bread one night for hte next day, or early in the morning for the day (I started bread and had it rising before breakfast last week, and then Saturday night I made bread again).

    That's a great price on milk!

    ReplyDelete