Saturday, January 9, 2010

Breakfast Never Tasted So Good!

Holy Cow did I ever find some great recipes! I was looking for something new for breakfast time. These recipes will become common in my home from this point on.

The first is Lazy Granola. This granola could not be easier to make. You mix it all up in about five minutes time, bake for 10 minutes, then let it sit overnight in the turned off oven to cool. Feel free to add any nuts with the oats and if you would like dried fruit just add them to it in the morning. If you like a granola that clumps, which I do, then this is the one for you then. I used a seven grain in place of the oats and it worked out great. Throw it in a bowl for breakfast with yogurt, yummy! Did I mention how easy this recipe is?



Homemade Pop Tarts
is the second recipe. Ohhhh sooooo good! They take a little bit of time, but they are simple. We made brown sugar cinnamon, strawberry, and raspberry Pop Tarts. Breakfast will never be the same, I think these may really qualify as a dessert though. I am not a store bought Pop Tart girl, I don't feel that the calories are worth the taste, breakfast is a meal that I feel I can keep my diet in check. I maybe in calorie trouble now. These are little puffs of pastry heaven, hmmmmm.

My mother-in-law gave me her recipe for pancakes at one of my wedding showers and it has become a staple in our home. We could happily eat breakfast for any meal of the day at our home. I am not a fan of a heavy 'Bisquick-like' pancake. I like a light fluffy pancake and this recipe delivers. The key is the whipped egg whites that are folded into the batter.

Pancake/Waffle Recipe

2c. flour
1/2c. sugar
1T. baking powder
1t. salt ----- Mix well

Add:
1/2 c. melted butter
2c. milk
4 egg yolks ----- Mix well

Fold in:
4 egg whites, whipped to a soft peak

I like to add cinnamon to my dry ingredients and vanilla in with the wet ingredients. I have substituted half of the flour with oat flour, that I have ground. You can also substitute half of the butter with applesauce, pumpkin puree, or what ever is sounding good to you.

Other breakfasts that we are enjoying during this Eating from the Pantry Challenge are:
Breakfast Burritos
Oatmeal
Cream of Wheat
Various cold cereals
Scrambled eggs & toast
Cinnamon rolls
German Pancakes
Various fruit, thanks to Bountiful Baskets
Croissants sandwiches
* I will start the croissants at night and let the dough sit overnight and move onto the next step in the morning, letting the dough sit in the fridge all day. The next step I do that second evening letting the dough sit once again overnight. The second morning is when the croissants are baked and turned into a yummy breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese, and breakfast meat. These are so delicious and well worth the effort. Enjoy a warm one with you favorite fruit spread. Delicious may not be a strong enough word. :)

I have found a cinnamon drop bread recipe that I am going to try, at my daughters request. I will report later in the week on that success. If you haven't already figured it out I definitely have a weakness for baked good, if they are warm I have NO will power.

You can read other postings about the Eating from the Pantry Challenge HERE and HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I still really need to try those pop tarts! They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete