Thursday, February 18, 2010

Healthy Fast Food

This is my idea of fast food. I will spend a couple hours in an upcoming afternoon to bottle the starts to stew. With these beautiful bottles in my food storage I can pull one or two out, add bottled meat or leftover roast/chicken and Voila dinner is ready. If you find yourself needing to take a warm home cooked meal to a friend in need what could be better? I had found this posting a while back and then lost it, found it again! I knew I had better post it before I misplaced it again.


Canned Stew
_______________________

In large bowls --- cut, chop or slice the following:

Potatoes
Carrots sliced
Celery sliced
Onion chopped
(A food processor works great for the carrots and celery
& don't forget to keep the potatoes covered with water so they don't brown)

1 TBSP Pearl Barley
1 TBSP Parsley
1 TBSP Bouillon (beef or chicken)
1/4 Tsp Salt (optional)
________________________
In clean Canning Jar add:
Pearl Barley
Parsley
Bouillon
Salt (optional)
Then using a LARGE handful of each, add the following:
Onion
Celery
Carrots
Potatoes
(I usually add more potatoes)

Cover all ingredients with boiling water leaving 1 inch head space
Wipe rim with clean dish cloth, top with lid & ring then process in a
Pressure Canner for 30 Minutes at 12 pounds of pressure.

This stew can be made into:
Pot Pies
Casseroles
Dumplings

A quick way I have served this is to open 2 jars of stew in a 9 x 13 pan, then add a can of Roast beef chunks, some fresh sliced zucchini and top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 till bubbly.
My family loves this and it's great to have on hand when you need to whip up a quick meal.
Happy Canning!

Thanks to Made with Love & Glue.

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful! Thanks for the tip and recipe. I'm definitely going to try this out. I'm also linking you up to my blog :0)

    ReplyDelete