Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Making Pita Bread

So yesterday morning as my friend, Ginger, and I were walking the subject of lunch came up. Not a huge stretch of conversation topic since we both love food. But we were complaining about how our lunch choices were not so good, my Monday lunch was a piece of bread with peanut butter spread across the top and a Coke. My eight year old who can be picky isn't the biggest fan of sandwiches had enjoyed a slice of Challah bread with butter. I debated with her that at least peanut butter had some protein and butter just had fat. Her reply was, 'Well look, I'm skinny'. I just rolled my eyes and spread some butter on her bread.
My favorite meal to eat out is lunch. Probably because I'm with girlfriends but also because I love flavorful food. I really don't put a whole lot of thought into lunch meals at my home. After my conversation with Ginger I knew I had to make a change. I found this great recipe for Homemade Pita Pockets on the Money Saving Mom blog and thought I haven't tried to make anything new in a while. The dough does need to rise a for a while but it was easy and they turned out so good. I didn't have them ready in time for lunch so we enjoyed a tuna sandwich in them for dinner with carrots. My picky eight year old suddenly liked having a sandwich inside of a pocket! Yeah, this is a happy Mom. I'm thinking stuffing them with cheesy scrambled eggs for breakfast sounds good too.
What I'm getting at is try to make something new from scratch and save money that way. I will make the pita bread, which costs pennies to make, now on a regular basis. I am wanting to learn to make tortillas soon, we go through a bit of them at our house.

1 comment:

  1. See what a good walk can do. I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete