Friday, August 28, 2009

Make Your Own Laundry Soap


So my friend, Ginger, was on Facebook and saw a posting from a friend about making her own laundry soap for $8 and it makes quite a bit. She emailed me the recipe so that I can share it with everyone. I Googled each of the ingredients and if you click on each one you will see what I learned. Each ingredient sounds great and useful for more than just washing your laundry. I have several months of laundry soap in my storage but I can't wait to try it. These are items you should be able to find in your local store. If anyone has ever tried this before let us know how well it works.

1 Fels Naptha Bar
20 Mule Team Borax
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

Grate 1/3 of Fels Naptha Bar with cheese grated. In large pot bring 6 cups water to boil. Add grated soap. Let dissolve. Add 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup Washing Soda. Let boil 10 minutes on medium heat.

In a 2 gallon bucket, mix together 4 cups of boiling water and the soap mixture above. After mixing, add 22 cups water.

Cover and let sit for 24 hours.

After sitting it will be like jelly. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth and more the consistency of syrup. Store in large liquid laundry detergent container. Measure the same as you would any other laundry soap.

Cost is about $8 for all the above ingredients that will make around 3 batches.

The claim is that you do not need to use bleach or fabric softner, but you can add those to the laundry load if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment