Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Zucchini Parmesan

I'm wondering if I could get away with 'Meatless Mondays Meals'? I think the guys may protest a bit and I do worry that my son would be eating again an hour later but I think it's worth a try. I know it wouldn't hurt us to go without meat at one meal, it might even be healthier, so I am going to try it for a month and then give my report. I know the following recipe will be on my food budget since I am growing my own zucchini and I have everything except the Parmesan cheese in my pantry already. I have a really yummy french bread recipe that is easy to make that will follow the Zucchini Parmesan recipe.



Zucchini Parmesan

Zucchini is fried then baked with an herbed tomato sauce.
Ingredients:

* 4 to 5 medium zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 tomatoes, sliced
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Scrub zucchini and cut into 1/4-inch slices. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon basil, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Toss zucchini slices with the seasoned flour, coating slices thoroughly. Heat oil over medium low heat in a large skillet. Sauté zucchini slices in batches until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain well and repeat until all zucchini is browned. In a bowl, combine sour cream, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon basil, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place zucchini slices in baking dish. Top zucchini with tomato slices; spread sour cream mixture over tomatoes, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Serves 6.

I'm going to serve my Zucchini Parmesan with spaghetti and marinara sauce as well as the fresh bread.


French Bread
1/2 c warm water
2T yeast ----dissolve in the above Water

2c hot water
1/2 c oil
1T salt
2T sugar ----place in mixing bowl and dissolve the salt & sugar

mix in:
3c flour

then stir in the yeast mixture, add in 3 more cups of flour. I need to add 1/2c - 1c more of flour, depending on the weather, till it forms a soft ball. This means it is pulling away from the bowl forming a ball and is a bit sticky to the touch.

You will let it rise for 10 minutes then turn on the mixer, or knead by hand, to get the air out. You will repeat this process three more times. On the fourth time I divide the dough into two or four balls, depending on the size you want, and shape into loaves of bread. I do use a serrated knife and make a slight cut three times diagonally on the top of each loaf. Whisk an egg and cover each loaf to add a golden crust. Let rise 10-20 minutes and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes. Make sure that the bread has a dark golden crust and you can knock on the top and hear a hollow sound. Then I know it is done. I have made this bread when I couldn't bake a single other thing, it is that easy. Fresh, warm bread is a treat all on it's own but add some fresh jam and dessert is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment