Saturday, September 12, 2009

Easy, Inexpensive Dinner

I have this standard meal that I make several times a month because it is easy, cheap, and my family eats it up.

Here is the basics to my recipe:

Dehydrated Refried Beans, 2c. boiling water to 3c dehydrated beans
1lb cooked ground beef
shredded cheese
tortillas
taco seasoning, salsa, can of green chilies, or enchilada sauce

I make it different every time so that it doesn't feel like a repeat from the previous time. Also, add more refried beans if you need to make this stretch further.

I add the beans and meat together with which ever seasoning I am using. If I'm using enchilada sauce then i add just a bit of it is all.

Version #1
I will roll tortillas, corn or flour, with the meat mixture and some cheese then place in my pan. When all of the tortillas are rolled I will smother them with enchilada sauce. I will smother them in my homemade green tomato salsa sometimes.

Version #2
Place all of the ingredients out in their individual bowls and let everyone make their own 'taco/burrito'. Crispy taco shells or pre-fried corn tortillas are good with this version.

Version #3
I make this like a layered mexican lasagna. I put some of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of my sprayed pan. I then proceed to layer tortillas (ripped into smaller pieces), the meat mixture, sauce, and cheese. I have my top layer be more of the ripped tortillas and then smother it with more sauce and cheese.

Each of these versions are baked in my 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes to melt the cheese and let the tortillas absorb the sauce. Serve with a green salad, chips and salsa, and some fruit and I have a happy family every time.

I have thought of trying it with tortilla chips as well. Be creative and make it fit your families taste buds. This is a good make a day ahead of a busy day and then just pop it in the oven the day you need it. Enjoy!

1 comment: