Monday, July 27, 2009

Double Coupon Basics



Albertson's double coupons, 0r "Twice the Value" coupons are valid on any manufacturer coupon up to $1 in value. When double coupons come out, it's one of the rare instances where you can actually use 2 coupons on item.

There were 3 doubles in yesterday's Herald Journal on page A7, so you'll be allowed to use all 3 in one transaction.

Since the coupon states "three double coupons per transaction per shopping trip" most stores do require you to either go to your car and put your groceries away before doing a subsequent transaction. However, I'm finding each store is a little different. Some adhere to a strict "3 doubles per DAY" rule, while other stores are more relaxed and will allow you to do 3 transactions back to back. I understand that Utah county seems to be very strict! If you're new to using doubles, I recommend asking someone at Customer Service what their individual store policy is.

A few tips on using doubles:

* To get the most leverage, try to double only $1 coupons. Usually if I have several coupons in 1 transaction, the checker will automatically double my 3 highest value coupons. Since we've had doubles for months now, I find the checkers are pretty versed in using them and I rarely have to specify which coupon I want doubled.
* Be organized. Have all your coupons ready when checking out. Remember to plan for overages! Albertson's will not pay you to walk away with your groceries! I usually grab a cold drink or pack of gum if this happens.
* Do your shopping early morning or later at night, when the store is least busy.
* A double coupon is a store coupon. Since you can't use 2 store coupons on 1 item, you cannot use a double on another store coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment