Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mexican Gray Squash

In our last Bountiful Basket we received Mexican Gray Squash. It looks like a short zucchini, it does have a much softer skin though. There is no great enlightening info on this vegetable that I could find. I did find a posting of one woman's favorite way to eat it and I cooked for dinner tonight. My husband and I both really liked it, the picky children ate it with no real comment.

Here is what I did:

2 squash, diced into cubes
1c. frozen corn
1/4 white onion, chopped
1 T. creme fraiche, I used heavy whipping cream
On medium heat I put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in my pan. Then added the squash, corn and onion. I left the onion thinly sliced instead of chopped so that my kids could eat around the onion, spoiled in my opinion. I cooked the veggies until the the squash was starting to get a brownness, is that a word?, then turned off the heat. At that point I added the cream and quickly stirred it around.

This was a yummy side dish!

When I Google 'Mexican Gray Squash' I found a lot of recipes that are dishes for zucchini. You can substitute the squash in your favorite recipe calling for zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment